Julie Horning, Dean of College Counseling at Golder College Prep
1. What high school did you attend? I went to Northside College Prep.
2. What are some of your hobbies outside of work? I have a two and a half year old little girl so she is my main hobby. We spend lots of time at playgrounds or walking trails, enjoying every last bit of nice weather. I am also training for my first (and only) marathon, which keeps me almost as busy as my daughter!
3. What is one highlight of your work so far at Noble? There have been so many! One that allowed me to see my work come full circle was attending the college graduations of several of my advisees. Seeing the pride and excitement of both the students and families reminded me why the daily grind is so important.
4. Who is a role model or hero of yours and why? My mother is both a role model and hero of mine. I have always admired her ability to live her life constantly thinking about how best to serve others. I truly believe she makes the world a better place through the work she does, both within our family and on a larger scale. I am incredibly grateful to have her as an inspiration in my life- and for her watching my daughter while I am at work!
5. What is your life motto? What drives you? I am driven by a desire to ensure others are able to experience some version of the support I benefited from growing up. With that, I believe we live in a world that has a great deal of room for improvement and I find strength in doing what I can to have some small impact on that. Watching our students start to create the necessary changes in the communities they enter after Golder inspires me to do what I can to help them along the way.
Ashley Rogers, Senior, Golder College Prep
1. How would you describe Golder College Prep ? Golder is that one parent who is authoritative yet extremely caring. Though you are disciplined and may not always see the reason, you always know that the people who guide you only want what’s best for you and trust the bigger purpose.
2. What is your favorite part about going to school at Golder? My favorite part about going to Golder is definitely the people. From students to teachers, there are so many unique personalities that all come together to form a unity that I have yet to see at any other school.
3. What has been your biggest accomplishment so far? As of right now, my biggest accomplishment would be studying Marine and Terrestrial Biology at Harvard University for 2 weeks. Here, I was allowed to explore a subject that sparks my intellectual curiosity and connect with hundreds of others from around the world. This fueled my desire to study biology in college.
4. What is your dream job or dream college? My dream college is one where I am able to openly geek out over the complexities of DNA structures while also cheering on my football team at a game, attending music festivals, and enjoy life outside of the classroom.